This program focused on faith, place, and conflict, designed for graduate students who would be teaching a course on this topic. They met with Jews, Christians and Muslims who can be described as moderates and extremists, including Jewish settlers and Palestinian activists.
Day 1 - Holy Sites in the Old City of Jerusalem
- 9:30 Church services (St. George’s Cathedral);
- Excursion: Holy Places and Controversy– Church of the Holy Sepulcher, Western Wall, Temple Mount / Haram al Sharif, Mount Zion – discussion with Marcie and professors
- Evening: Process over dinner
Day 2 - Whose Jerusalem?
- 9:00 Conversation with a local Christian author: Being Christian in Jerusalem (Ecce Homo)
- 12:00 Lunch and conversation with Israeli Jewish writer
- Excursion to East Jerusalem (including Silwan) led by a local Palestinian guide
- Text study – Jerusalem: Intersections of Holiness(Marcie)
- Text Study: Ramadan– Muslim professor
- Meet with a representative of the Waqf on the politics of the Temple Mount / Haram al Sharif
- Excursion: Bethlehem (Dar al-Kalima University College): 12:00 Lecture / Discussion: Christian Palestinian Experience– Dr. Mitri Raheb
- Evening – Israel Memorial Day Ceremony
Day 4 - War, Occupation, Settlements
- 8:00 departure from Damascus Gate
- 9:00 Lecture/Discussion about settlements with resident of Efrat
- Excursion to Hebron (Old City, Jewish museum, Tomb of the Patriarchs and Matriarchs/Ibrahimi Mosque for noon prayer (around 1 pm), Palestinian women’s craft cooperative, Palestinian non-violent resistance group) – led by local Palestinian community leader.
- Late afternoon: time to rest and process at a local home.
- Iftar with local Muslim organization
Day 5 - Palestinian Citizens of Israel and West Bank Palestinians
- 9:30 Lecture/Discussion: Palestinian Citizens of Israel– Dr. Mohammad Darawshe
- 5 pm departure from Damascus Gate
- Iftar in Dura (near Hebron) at the home of Palestinian peace activist
Day 6 - The Land
- 8:00 am: Meet with the Very Reverend Hosam Naoum, Dean of St. George’s Cathedral
- 9:00 am: Hike in Judean Hills with a local scholar; Text study in situ
- Kabbalat Shabbat service at Jerusalem synagogue
- Shabbat dinner at a Jewish home
- Excursion:Old Traditions New City: Walking tour of west Jerusalem
- Shabbat lunch at a local Jewish home
- Closing discussion, reflections, dinner at Marcie’s home